Green Curry Chicken
(Cooking Light 2009-October)
- one pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced into 1" cubes and sprinkled with salt
- 2 bell peppers (your choice of colors), diced
- 1 14 oz can of lite coconut milk
- green curry sauce (1-4 Tbs depending on the heat - add 1 at a time and taste!)
- 1 cup long grain or basmati rice
- fresh cilantro to garnish (optional, but nice)
- Start the rice first, omit the fat - otherwise follow package directions
- Spray a nonstick pan with cooking oil and then lightly brown the chicken.
- Add 1 Tbs of curry sauce and cook for 1 minute. (Taste and add more, if needed)
- Add 1 cup of the coconut milk, bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer until the chicken is almost cooked through.
- Add the bell peppers, the remaining coconut milk, and 1/4 tsp. of salt. Simmer 5-6 more minutes or until bell peppers are cooked to your liking.
The Stats: 282 calories, 6.8 g fat, 29.7 g protein
VERDICT: Very, very easy. A bit mild for us, but I think it was our curry sauce. I think one of the really nice things about this dish is the coconut milk makes it have a great texture, but the calories and fat are still really low. The recipe says it serves 4, but I think if this is a dinner entree with no appreciable sides is really serves 3 with a small amount left for a lunch. The stats above are quoted as if you make four servings - but still - even with three servings it has less calories than one of those nasty microwave 'diet' meals and is way more satisfying and filling.