Pages

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Day 2: Still figuring it out


Day 2:  COVID-19 numbers


I think today the reality 'started' to set it in that we really are staying home and to ourselves.  Reece woke up in a majorly grumpy mood, but it did get better as the day went on.  I think his mental health is really straining against all of this.  He is our high anxiety kid and this is about all he can take.

We are still trying to have a schedule (of sorts) and to make things as normal as possible.  We haven't hit our grove yet.  There was less "school" today - and more "learning through doing," which is the direction I prefer to go anyway (says the school teacher of 25 years...I know...)  All three kids had music lessons, Gabe and Reece got set up on Khan Academy for math, and we all worked on making a raised bed and getting in some early plants.

I haven't figured out what to do for writing - they read like crazy but I know they need to work on writing.  This is still under construction.

We ended the day deciding that tomorrow we will take a virtual field trip to Yellowstone National Park (so now I am up working on curating this experience!), baking a cake from scratch (maybe), and Gabe has an online class on Fibonacci numbers that he is really excited about. 

I will be going back to school tomorrow morning to get my "stuff" - as we have been told we are not going to be allowed back in the building after this time.

It is scary times.  The kids are doing ok for now.  I am trying really hard to figure it all out and keep it as normal and engaging as I can.  What else can I do?

Ending the day:


No comments: