Pages

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Day 3: New Normal?

I'm going with No, not quite yet.    Today's numbers started like this...



On the "Actual" school front - we had until today to go gather our personal belongings from the school and get what ever we will need to work from home.  The twist - we have not had any meetings/memos/guidance yet on what that actually means.  So what do I bring home???  Apparently it is 3 trips worth of 'stuff' from the building to the car.  Let's hope I am prepared.

On the way home I attempted to do our regular grocery shopping for the week.  People with the crazy hoarding - you must stop.  Some of us did not hoard and now there is nothing for us to buy.  I even didn't get y full regular amounts of items when I DID find them because so few were left I didn't want to take more than my fair share.

And the Virtual School situation - I am behind.  Things are going faster than I can keep up.  I think it is because everyone is stuck at home, so now instead of kids submitting 1 item a day, the are submitted 3,4,or even more.

And the "Home School" situation (I need a new term for this), it was not as smooth as I would have liked, but I had to be out of the house for about 3 hours this morning and apparently that is all it takes for all hell to break lose and my house to look like a bomb went off. 

HOWEVER, we started a math program that was suggested for kids with dyscalculia and it has been really interesting to see how Grayson is working though the basics.  His sweet soul - I don't know how he has made it this far.  It is so clear he needs real instruction geared towards working with his disability so he can actually develop some number sense.  Screw the "test," he has to live the rest of his life.  A little number sense would really be nice to have.  Anyone that thinks he doesn't try hard enough should see the amount of effort it takes for him to even count backwards from 20 or rank 3 numbers fewest to greatest.  It is so hard to watch, and yet he soldiers on.

←←←  I also learned that even with 4000 other square feet of house to chose from, every time I try to sit down - every person (and dog) under 5 feet tall must be within 8 feet of me.  Here is proof.  Every person home at the time (and dog) all on the 6 foot long couch I sat down on.




 Quick recap

- Gabe had breakfast duty (green pancakes because we missed St Patty Day yesterday)
- kids discovered their names had been painted green in their sleep
- Khan Academy and Math Stacks / Reading / Journal Writing
- Reece had lunch duty
- Gabe started and online course on Fibonacci numbers
- outside
- and lastly, wreck the house and erupt into chaos the 90 min I was gone with a friend (and I drove off with a glass coffee cup on my car ... it did not end well)
- baths and bed

Hoping for peace and calm tomorrow.   I continue to watch the numbers and deeply worry, but solider on with a "it will be ok" mantra so the kids won't be scared.  Numbers are climbing (actually sitting at 218,000 and right t 9,500 in US as I type, but I snapped the picture a few hours ago...so here it is:




No comments: